Gordon and Gail MacDonald (pictured above praying for us on our wedding day), had a good deal of sage advice for us as we prepared to get married (in fact they have written all kinds of wise things, some of our favorite books by them are High Call, High Privilege and Ordering Your Private World).
We have so appreciated their advice to invest in experiences . . . to take the trip, enjoy the adventure, have the special dinner. We have come to agree with them whole-heartedly that investing in experiences continues to deepen and strengthen our relationship and there is such joy in experiencing together.
One particular time when I am so grateful we invested in the experience was when we were in California for my schooling. I was in the midst of a two-week intensive and we decided that during the weekend we would pay the extra money to go on a road trip. We were saving our pennies and it was a big investment for us to pay for a room in Pasedena and find and pay for a room elsewhere . . . but it meant we would get to explore the coast, have time off from studies and work and get to spend time together.
So we got in our rental car and headed up the coast . . .
Along the way we stopped and enjoyed the sights, like the seals and Hearst Castle . . .
But the really special part of our weekend away was our Bed & Breakfast . . .
We did a post this summer on the different kinds of places we do stay . . . Bed & Breakfasts have become a favorite.
The Bridge Creek Inn was a wonderful stay.
We found it online and there were two bedrooms. We called just before the weekend and were able to get one. We had hoped for the room with the sauna, but were happy to stay in the room that was cheaper. On the way up we got a phone call . . . the other couple was unable to make it, so we would have the whole house to ourselves for the weekend at the lower price. And we got the room with the sauna.
1. Use the Internet . . . there are a number of good finders for B & Bs
2. Check the B & B’s website
- If you don’t like the look of a room online, don’t think it will look better in person
- We have found that B & Bs with nice website have almost always been nicer
3. Go ahead and call last minute
- We have gotten many good deals at the last minute
- B & Bs have waived the two-night minimum when we have booked the day or week of
4. You don’t have to have the breakfast
- We have had lots of nice breakfasts at B & Bs
- Sometimes we don’t want to have to be up and ready, we have just let the Inn Keepers know and it has never been a problem
We are so grateful for the times when we have invested in experiences.
Updating as we go . . .Day 1: About Intention Day 2: About Adventure Day 3: Challenge – Community Event (Hayride) Day 4: Challenge – Use Groupon (Daytrip) Day 5: Challenge – Find Event on the Internet (Art Show +) Day 6: Challenge – Head to the Local Fair Day 7: Flashback Friday – Andrew, Liza Day 8: Challenge – Celebrate with Family Day 9: Challenge – Celebrate Your Own Birthday