In July we took a little road trip to Jackson, New Hampshire. Jackson is a place we visited as a couple in the winter. There were so many fun things, that we agreed we would return in the summer with Cole.
We stopped at Clark’s on the way up . . .
We took another train ride . . .
And went to our first amusement park as a family, Storyland.
And it was our least favorite trip as a family.
Some of the things that made it hard . . .
- Colton had the grumples
- We ate food like hot dogs and grilled cheese sandwiches (nor our usual fare)
- The place we stayed was so bad that we only stayed there one night and then packed up and went home
- We spent way too many unexpected hours on the road
- The car falt chaotic and messy
- The entire trip was focused on things Cole would like to do
So when it came to heading off on our week long vacation . . . we made some intentional decisions, before ever getting in the car.
- We reminded ourselves and each other that everyone gets to choose their own mood, and that Andrew and I could choose grace and peace, despite Cole’s mood.
- Eating food that is healthy and delicious is a choice we love to make, so it became a priority.
- We would make the very best out of the places we had chosen to stay (our reservations were already made).
- We would make stops along the way and drive in and out of the Boston area at non-peak times.
- We would pack the car with more intention and work together to keep to a system.
- We would choose to do things that Andrew and I like to do, and Cole would join us on our vacation . . . because the truth is Cole is usually pretty excited by anything we call an adventure.
One trip inspired another and we were all the better for it.